Friday, October 31, 2008

In Memory

In memory of Stephan J Bown

18 years ago today I lost my dad. He was killed in an auto vs cyclist accident. Here's a few things that I remember about him.

He had a wonderful sense of Humor
He loved me and my family very much
He worked hard so that we wouldn't go without
He was always willing to help anyone
He was just a big kid, he always told us he was president of the Peter Pan fan club
He loved the outdoors, camping, hunting, he was just getting into mountain biking
He loved cycling, I remember watching the Tour de France with him
He loved animals I think that we always had a dog or a cat or both

I'm sad that my dad didn't get to see me graduate from school, or see me off on my first date, or get to be there when I got married. But mostly I'm sad that he wasn't here for any of the little things, dinner at home when he would get us all rilled up and drive mom crazy, watching funny movies as a family, going camping up at Ferin, falling asleep in his banana chair, the way he laughed and talked, hearing stories about him growing up.

I love you dad. It seems very hard to believe that you have been gone for 18 years. Back then I didn't think that life would go on this long. I know that you are watching over all of us. I know
that you love us and that you are waiting for us to be together again as a family.

This is a picture of my dad and I taken the summer before he died. I was almost 12.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

melita Ilove you and that was awsome you are such a great person. hope your day is good and tell everyone hi for us here in Cedar.

Jay and Ang said...

Yea. I'm with Ash. You have such a good heart. It's crazy it's been 18 years...I never met Stephan in person but I def. feel I have a connection to him...can't necessarily explain it to you-but I feel very close with your dad. :) I love you so much and I am so glad I apart of the Bown family. Definitely proud to be a Bown.

Katie said...

Important people stay with you for a lifetime, if only in your heart.