Tuesday, October 7, 2008

St George Marathon '08

The fearless runners Lance, Jenica, Debbie (mom), Vic (dad)

First off BIG CONGRATULATIONS to my mom, dad, sister and brother for running in the St George Marathon this weekend. It was a rainy cold weekend, and only the 2nd time in the 32 years of the marathon that is has rained. My mom blames that on my dad as he tends to have the worst luck in the world. But I digress. They awoke very early Saturday morning to catch one of the first buses at 4 am! It was warm when they got off the bus, and by the time they got up to where the race starts it was raining, cold and windy. They all started running into a head wind, that was driving rain right at them.

My dear sweet dad made it to mile 13 running with pnemonia. When he stopped at the aid station they told him he was getting hypothermia and going into shock. He was shivering so bad he couldn't talk to the nurse there.

My crazy brother Lance ran the entire way, he said that he didn't walk once because he was afraid if he did he wouldn't start again. He finished in 4:09.

My mom bless her dear heart hates the cold more than anyone else I know (except for my Grandpa), she wasn't going to run, but her friend and running partner told her she had trained to hard to not finish. So she ran the marathon for her 2nd (and she says last) time and finished in 6:11.

My sister Jenica didn't train as much as she should have (although she should've learned from me that is not the way to do it). A little back story when I "ran" the marathon in 2006 I didn't train at all, and ended up walking most of the way. Because of that I finished at almost the very end. My family started getting worried about me so my brother Jeremy and Jenica started walking back along the raceway to find me. They found me and walked with me for about the last 1.5 to 2 miles. It was great that they pushed me like that. So anyway, we hadn't seen Jenica so Jeremy and I decided that we would walk back and find Jen. We found her at almost the same place that they had found me two years earlier. We walked with her to the finish line. She finished in 6:45. Six minutes faster than my time of 6:51. Here's a picture of me and Jen after we found her.
We had a good time staying in Cedar City for the weekend at the wonderful Holiday Inn Express.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey i reconize the pic my husband took it with the camra he droped